Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Doctor's Office


When Little L. was a baby she used to scream and cry the moment we walked into the building. Her baby six-sense must have told her that something painful was coming. It was the really bad kind of cry too, the kind that rips right through your ear drums. As a mom, a new mom, it was so painful to hear her cry that way that sometimes I cried along with her a tiny bit.

Baby J. is much more laid back at the doctor's office. He loves the attention and coos and smiles at the nurses who all tell me how he's just the cutest little thing--and I agree. Where Little L. used to stiffen in terror, Baby J. playfully bats at the stethoscope and looks into the Dr.'s eyes and smiles. Despite Baby J.'s big smiles I still think about the way Baby L. used to cry. I still have a big knot in my throat the whole time we're at the doctor's office.

Yesterday, when it was time for Baby J. to get his shots, the nurse walked right in and asked me to lay Baby J. on his back and hold his little fists out of the way. She was quick--super quick. Bam, bam, bam, three shots. Three big loud screams from Baby J. "Okay, we're done here," she said cheerfully and walked just as quickly out. Baby J.'s happy, smiley little face had crumpled into the saddest thing I'd ever seen. Maybe it's even worse that he doesn't cry the whole time, I thought. With Little L., I was kind of used to her crying… this is worse…definitely worse…

As soon as I picked up Baby J. and hugged him close, he cooed and smiled. Even with tears still in his eyes he smiled through those tears and clung to me tightly.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing that two of your children could respond in such different ways? It was always a marvel to me - even now! Hope your day is filled with fun summer stuff, Beth, now that THAT'S out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are similar! Our nurse encouraged me to breastfeed them while they had the injection. My daughter hardly flinched when the needle went it, probably because I made sure she was hungry before we got started. My son, however, really howled for all of his needles. In August he gets the last of them, the first without the breastfeeding trick. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this little slice because it brought me back to the days when my kids were too little to know what was about to hit them at the pediatrician's office. My heart tugged at the end, and I felt the "ahhh" relief of comfort just like you and Baby J did, in each other's arms. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me believe things might be easier if I have a second child. I love my darling I with all of my heart, but sometimes I am so exhausted from what should be easy stuff.

    ANYWAY, I'm glad Baby J. had a good appointment despite the tears. Those first few appointments after they're born are tough, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baby memories that have a short memory for the bad stuff and as soon as they see or are held by someone they love, are right back to their smiley, gurgle-y selves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all so different! I had one who didn't cry when she had shots, but her younger sister screamed just watching! Doctors' offices are stressful places!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember crying the whole way home after our son's first injections.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me smile because it reminded me of when my boys were babies. I always felt like I had betrayed their trust when their shots were given and my previously happy baby erupted into screams of terror. They still don't thank me but at least they kind of understand now. :)

    ReplyDelete