Thursday, April 7, 2011

Make a Special Reading Spot in Your House

Kids love having their own special spot for reading. Having a favorite place to read helps children build their identity as readers - they can think of themselves as "readers" before they even know the alphabet!

Here are some ideas:
1. Set up a corner with a basket of books, some pillows and some post-its.
2. You could set aside a child-sized rocking chair with a tote-bag full of books resting in it.
3. Keep a basket of books next to your child's bed with a mini-flashlight for reading under the covers.

Here's Baby L's fave reading spot right now:









Use your imagination!

Does your tiny reader have a favorite place to read? Leave a comment and share!

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to share with you that I enjoy your blog very much and gave you a Versatile Blogger Award! Follow the link to my site and have fun sharing!
    www.thoughtsfromthismom.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!
    ~Wendie
    www.thoughtsfromthismom.blogspot.com
    www.oddjobsmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I think this is a great idea! I thought about doing this for my kids, but I never got around to it.
    They read everywhere in the house. I have dreams of being organized someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found you via a comment you left on my Color Wheel project. :) Your site is wonderful. :) Not only can I use it with the little ones I work with, but my new 4 month old I have at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments everybody! Have fun reading with your tiny readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sweet and I agree completely about giving them their own reading spot. We are setting up a few in our home now because one wasn't enough. I love the use of a tent- nice and cosy and private! Thanks for linking up to It's Playtime and hope to see you there again this Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could use a spot like that for me!

    ReplyDelete