Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Slice of Life Story Challenge


Little L.'s preschool class was sitting in a circle on the rug in the center of their cheerful classroom. A special candle had been placed at the center. Ms. C. introduced me, saying, "Everybody, this is L.'s mom, she's come to visit for L.'s birthday."

After some ooh's and ah's, and after a few kids called out, "I know her!" things settled down, and Ms. C. handed Little L. a small round globe. "L., will you hold on the to world, and walk carefully in a circle around the candle, the sun, while we sing the special birthday song?" Little L. stood up, holding the world in her hands and stood near the "sun" and waited.

To the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell," the class sang.

The Earth goes round the sun,

The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun.


While they sang. L. walked slowly, slowly, around the "sun," holding the Earth in her hands. I watched her, proud of how careful and sweet she was. (She would have NEVER followed directions so well at home.)

When the song came to a stop, Ms. C. said to the class, "Now L. is one year old. What was L. like when she was just one year old, mom?" That was my cue to share one of the photos I had been asked to bring. "Here she is!" I said,  "This is when we still lived in Brooklyn, before we lived in Vermont." The picture was very cute. She was such a cute baby, really. Some giggles from the kids... and then we sang again.


The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun.

After a brief moment of thoughtful silence, Ms. C. said, "The Earth has gone all the way around the sun twice now. Now L. is two years old! Mom, can you tell us what L. was like when she was two?" I held up the photo of L. with the NewYork City skyline in the background. "This was the last summer we spent in Brooklyn, right before we moved here. L. was still just two when she started at your school last year. This picture was right before school started!" I thought to myself, I cannot believe it has already been a year since we moved. I can't believe how tiny she was when she first started school!




The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun.

L.'s teacher now said, "The Earth has made the long trip all the way around the sun three whole times since L. was born. Now she is three years old. What was L. like when she was three?"

I paused for a moment. My little girl isn't three anymore. It was as if it were really sinking in.  Finally I said, "Well, in this photo, here she is learning to ski. Do you think we're still in New York City?"

"Nooo!" shouted the class.

"You are right!" I said brightly, shaking off a little bit of nostalgia. "When L. was three we lived in Vermont."



Phew. I made it through the tough part. No tears.

The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun,
The Earth goes round the sun.

The children stopped singing, and L.'s teacher said, "Now the Earth has traveled all the way around the sun four times since L. was born. L. is four years old now! What a big kid! Mom, do you want to share anything about L. now that she is four?"

And then, what do you know? All of a sudden I was holding back, fighting tears! I couldn't believe my baby girl was already not just three, but four years old! I coughed, pretended like my throat was just dry. After an  uncomfortable pause I finally held up the fourth photo. It made me smile. My little girl in her dragon costume that she had chosen for Halloween. "Here she is!" I held it up and the kids gave me the reaction I knew I would get. "Wow! Cool! I love dragons! Is that her Halloween costume?" I smiled. "Yup, L. is four now and just the other day we tried on Halloween costumes. She tried on a fairy, a princess, and a dragon. And what do you think she chose?"

"Dragon!" the kiddos shouted. L. smiled a big huge smile, and hugged the Earth she was holding in her hands. "I love dragons," she chimed in.

The rest of the afternoon in Little L.'s classroom passed in a blur. I was still thinking about how quickly four years had gone by and how L. had grown from a tiny little thing--to this bold, strong little person. A kid who goes to school, and has her own friends, and is getting bigger and smarter and more and more herself everyday. And yes, a kid who chooses to be a dragon for Halloween.







5 comments:

  1. Oh Beth, this is beautiful! My throat got tight as I read this. I felt like I was right there with you, watching you try not to cry at both the three and four year old photos and things you shared.
    What a special teacher your daughter has! Not just for this beautiful song (which teaches the kids so concretely about what a year is like), but for inviting in families too!
    And I LOVE the dragon costume! That'll likely be the kind of costume Isabelle chooses when she turns four. (She doesn't know it yet, but we're dressing her up as a med student for Halloween.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was lovely. The trips around the sun, the song, the photos were all breathtaking and your words were a perfect accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an extraordinary way to celebrate a preschool birthday! Wow. I am in awe. I have no doubt that this was a beautiful experience - a gift, truly - for you, let alone your sweet four year old! Thank you for sharing. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful! I got a little teary eyed just reading it, so I don't know how you held it together in that classroom! My Maddie just turned 4 last weekend, and I was all weepy about it.
    Happy Birthday to your "L". She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Beth I am in tears! This is gorgeous, I absolutely love this birthday celebration, and I love how you relived your daughter's years as she went through it. Four! It just doesn't seem possible. The days are long but the years are short. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete