Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This Is It! Last Day of March...

So this is it... the last day of March. The day before April. And do you know what April is?

POETRY MONTH

Rencently I signed up for a poem-a-day challenge through a network I belong to, KidLitosphere. So that means every day in April I will need to write a new poem, and post it to my blog.

Why am I doing this? I'm not a professional writer, but I love to write. I teach writing to young children, and every day I teach them that writing is public and social. We display kids' writing on bulletin boards and in hallways for other children and teachers to see. But do we adults ever display our writing for all to see? Not usually. So I am doing this in part so that I will be able to say, honestly, to the five and six (and seven and eight, and nine and ten... and twenty and thirty and forty) year olds that I teach, "Writers share their work with others--- even when it isn't perfect."

So let the imperfection begin! Readers, I hope you'll be patient, kind, and forgiving!

3 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you are doing this and what a terrific example you're setting for the kids you teach. I can't wait to read your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a new poem, you'll have to check it out let me know what you think:-)
    Can't wait to read yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to the words
    that will
    drip
    drip
    splash
    from your pen

    ReplyDelete