Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 15 SoL Story Challenge: Teddy Bear Tea Party

Slice of Life Day 7.  Join the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Challenge.

First thing this morning, when L woke up, she shouted from her bedroom, "Mommy, today is the Teddy Bear Tea Party!" 

"Ugh." All I wanted to do was sleep. 

But I didn't. I got up and, realizing that I really didn't have much time, I began to rush. I raced through breakfast for L, fed the baby, jumped in the shower, fed myself, got L dressed, got Baby J dressed, car seats....and finally we were on our way, with me already exhausted and feeling a headache coming on.

"This is going to be the best day of my life!" L shouted to no one in particular.

As we walked into the greenhouse, we could smell flowers and plants and earth. Although it was freezing cold and grey outside, the sunlight was amplified by the greenhouse windows and we felt like we had stepped right into spring.

Little L hugged her teddy bear and her stuffed poodle tight as we made our way to the tables, all set up for kids. We found an empty seat and got settled.


The greenhouse at Gardeners Supply was decked out for a tea party, with tables covered in white linens, and each place set with a plate, a plastic teacup and stickers to decorate it, a string of beads, and a tiny plastic teddy bear.

"Mommy, look," L exclaimed as she climbed into her chair, "They brought animals too!" She pointed to the stuffed animals that the other children at her table had brought with them. Her eyes were glowing with excitement.

As L got down to the business of decorating her plastic teacup, I thought to myself, Someday when she's all grown up, she'll remember this as the time we went to the Teddy Bear Tea Party... I watched her carefully, trying to soak up this moment, trying to slow it down, so that I would remember it too.

5 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of writing the stories; they won't be forgotten. What a wonderful time the two of you must have had. When my daughter was younger we used to go an American Girl fashion show put on by a local girls' school as a fund raiser. They always set up a room for a tea party with dolls. It was our favorite part of the event. Your post reminded me of those fun days we spent together.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! As the mother of two boys, tea parties weren't on the agenda. Thanks for sharing L's Teddy Bear Tea Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a good tea party?? She'll remember. So will you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you,making yourself slow down and savor!

    ReplyDelete