Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 24 SoL Story Challenge: A Planned Story

Join hundreds of students and teachers as we share stories every day in March!

The four of us sat around the kitchen table for dinner. Little L sat in her "special chair," a chair that can be adjusted in height so that she can reach the table, and three month old Baby J sat in the highchair for the first time.

"So L, what should we write about tonight?" I asked. Little L has been helping me create my posts for this blog each day, mostly by telling stories that I videotape.

For a moment I wasn't sure if L would cooperate. More than once during the SOLSC I've had to do dome cajoling to get a story. 

"I want to tell you a story about a run-away, then find, then lost kind of a story." I knew what she meant. She had a plan for her story; it was just a bit jumbled.

I resisted the temptation to immediately correct her by restating  it. Instead I said, "Wait, I'm confused. It really happens in that order?" Little L just looked back at me blankly. It occurred to me that she perhaps had never heard that phrase: "in that order."

So I asked, "Does your story end with being lost?"

"No!" Little L laughed like that was just plain silly, to end a story that way. "It goes like...first there's getting hidden or running off, then there's being lost, then there's getting found." 

"Oh! That makes a lit more sense to me," I said, proud that she was able to revise her plan to have the sequence make more sense. "May I record your story now?"

"I want to tell it at bedtime," L said.

So later in the evening, after dinner and more storytelling, and cleaning up, and baths, and putting on pajamas, and brushing teeth, and bedtime stories, just before getting tucked in L asked if she could record her story.

Here it is, just as she had planned:

"Illustrated" by Little L. "Asked" by Little L.'s mommy.

4 comments:

  1. Are there enough ways to say adorable in the English language???? A future storyteller has her beginnings right here on the SOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! Yes, Little L. is a fantastic coauthor!

      Delete
  2. The presence of books, story time and story telling is so evident in all these Little L stories...love the way she is so insistent on her title - this is an author/illustrator who knows herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. I almost corrected her when she said illustrator but it was just too cute!

      Delete